Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Sheboygan 'n' Brats

This weekend John, Chase, and I headed down to Shevegas for the PCW crit and Wors race. Things were a little chaotic throughout but we managed to get some decent racing in our legs. To top things off we saw some dude eat 58 hot dogs, attended brat days, and drove over 700 miles in less than three days. I will skip the non-racing events; John has sweet update to fill you in. Calumet was crazy fast and I was in the hurt locker for the entire first lap. National champ AJ was throttling the road lead out and following climb making for a lead break which I was exactly 5 yards behind for the first three quarters of the lap. I knew things would blow up, especially at that pace, so I was banking on finding my legs later and passing some toasted riders. Phillips and I finished off lap one together and I think he ended up bridging to the chase group, I couldn’t hold the pace. I rode the following two laps alone finding lap traffic around every corner. On the final lap I caught Seth on last climb; he looked to be hurting and didn’t respond. I was starting to find my speed and saw Phillips about twenty seconds up the trail but couldn’t bridge with the down hill finish. Turns out things did blow by the end leaving four riders within a minute of my finishing time. Now its time for rest and prep for O2S which should be a blast, I have only heard good things about the course and competition.

Quote of the day:

“To me, cross-country racing is the mask of pain. You go out and suffer and see who’s at the front. That’s what I think of as classic cross-country race—just the looks on the riders’ faces. How hard it is to do is what makes it so satisfying a sport to be involved in.” – Ned Overend

World is your playground,
Chad

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home